Sticky Date Pudding
This recipe is a classic dessert that can be used for any occasion, and with Ramadan right around the corner, it is a good way to make use of all those dates!
For more information and an instructional video, go to recipetineats.com!
Ingredients 280 grams of pitted dates, roughly chopped
1 tsp of baking soda
1 cup of boiling water
1/4 cup of brown sugar , loosely packed
6 tbsp of unsalted butter , softened
2 eggs at room temperature
1 1/4 cups of plain all-purpose flower
1 1/2 tsp of baking powder
(for the sauce to pour on top)
1 1/4 cups of brown sugar, loosely packed
1 1/2 cups of heavy whipping cream
1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
5 tbsp of unsalted butter
1)Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and grease an eight-inch square cake pan
2) Place the dates in a bowl, sprinkle the baking soda over them. Pour the boiling water into the bowl. Let it sit for 10 minutes, then mash it all together with a potato masher or a fork
3)Place butter and sugar in a separate bowl and beat together until smooth.
4) Add the eggs and beat it some more
5) Add the flour and then sprinkle the baking powder across the surface. Mix until the flour is incorporated.
6) Add the mashed dates and mix quickly until the dates are well incorporated into the batter.
7)Pour the batter into a cake pan and smooth it over. Bake it for 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
8) While it is still hot out of the oven, poke about 40 holes all over the surface using a skewer. Pour over 1/2 cup of the butterscotch sauce (see below), and leave to soak for 10 minutes.
9)Lift the cake out of the pan and cut it (serve it warm with the remaining warm sauce and ice cream or cream)
1) Place the ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat. Once the butter is melted, stir it and then bring it to simmer.
2) Simmer for 2 minutes, stirring once, and then remove it from heat. Serve warm.