15th of Sha'ban: Fate
As we inch nearer to the month of Ramadan, it is common to neglect the benefit of the month preceding it: Sha’ban.
Sha’ban is the month of the Prophet (S), and it is the second month of worship in command.
The Prophet (S) said “People are ignorant of this month, which is between Rajab and Ramadan. It is the month in which the deeds are presented to the Lord of the Worlds."
"So, what can I do?"
1) Fast on Mondays and/or Thursdays during the month of Sha’ban if possible.
- Why? The Prophet (S) said “the deed are presented on Monday and Thursday, so I love that my deed be presented while I am fasting.” (Narrated by Abu Hurairah)
- This is a helpful source to keep track of Hijri calendar dates in relation to the Gregorian calendar: https://www.islamicfinder.org/islamic-calendar/
2) Do an abundance of Ibadah on the 15th of Sha’ban:
- Abu Hurairah (R) narrated that the Prophet (S) said:
“Jibreel (A) came to me on the night of mid Sha’ban and said to me: ‘Yaa Rasulullah, raise your head heavenwards.’
I asked him: ‘What night is this?’
He replied ‘This is the night when Allah opens three hundred of the gates of mercy, forgiving all those who do not make anything His partner.’
The Prophet (S) said: ‘O Jibreel, how long will these gates remain open?’
He (A) replied: ‘From the beginning of the night until the break of dawn.’”
- This time is termed the “night of emancipation” or the “night of freedom” because this is when Allah (swt) determines the fate of each person over the course of the next year, including who will return to Him, who will be free from the hellfire, etc.
3) Here are a few recommended duas/dhikr you can read:
اللّهُمَّ أَنْتَ الْحَيُّ الْقَيُّومُ الْعَلِيُّ الْعَظِيمُ صَلِّ عَلَى مُحَمَّدٍ وَآلِ مُحَمَّدٍ وَاغْفِرْ لِي وَارْحَمْنِي وَاكْفِنِي مَا أَهَمَّنِي وَاقْضِ دَيْنِي، وَوَسِّعْ عَلَيَّ فِي رِزْقِي
O Allah, You are, The Ever-living, the self-subsiding, The most High, the Mighty. Bless Muhammad and his family, and forgive me, have mercy on me, and suffice for what is important to me. Fulfill my debts, and increase my sustenance.
اللّهُمَّ أَمْتِعْنَا بِأَسْمَاعِنَا وَأَبْصَارِنَا وَقُوَّتِنَا مَا أَحْيَيْتَنَا وَاجْعَلْهُ الْوَارِثَ مِنَّا، وَاجْعَلْ ثأْرَنَا عَلَى مَنْ ظَلَمَنَا، وَانْصُرْنَا عَلَى مَنْ عَادَانَا، وَلا تَجْعَلْ مُصِيبَتَنَا فِي دِينِنَا، وَلا تَجْعَلِ الدُّنْيَا أَكْبَرَ هَمِّنَا وَلا مَبْلَغَ عِلْمِنَا، وَلا تُسَلِّطْ عَلَيْنَا مَنْ لا يَرْحَمُنَا، بِرَحْمَتِكَ يَا أَرْحَمَ الرَّاحِمِينَ
O Allah, make us enjoy our hearing, our sight, our strength as long as You Keep us alive. Make us take rise against those who oppress us, and help us against those who show animosity to us. Place not our miseries in our religion, and let not this world be our biggest concern, nor the extent of our knowledge. And do not appoint over us one who has no mercy on us, by your mercy, O Most Merciful of the Merciful
4) If you cannot take the time out to do any of the above, an easy way to be in remembrance of Allah (swt) and be in a state of ibadah is to make constant dhikr throughout the day!
سُبْحَانَ اللّهِ وَالْحَمْدُ لِلّهِ وَلا إلهَ إلاَّ اللّه وَاللّهُ أَك ْبَر